PGC/WCOM Board Meeting Highlights April 2016
On behalf of the board, I want to express our deepest appreciation for the fantastic cooperation of our hosts during some major recent changes: agreement signing, underwriting enforcement, Spinitron logging. Y’all really rose to the challenge like champs! Thanks.
March minutes were approved with minor corrections and posted at http://wcomfm.org/index.php/about/minutes.
We adopted the first extensive amendment to the Bylaws of the Public Gallery of Carrboro since 2010. The updated bylaws can be found at https://artmenius.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/revised-pgc-bylaws-april-2016.pdf or by going to the Staff Document page inside the DJ/Host Wall on www.wcomfm.org
- Permit us to do business as WCOM
- Eliminate many minor inconsistencies
- Clarify our board election process
- Adopt formal consensus as our board decision making process rather than the self-contradictory “majority consensus.”
- Clarify the responsibilities of officers and committees
- Modify the checking process to allow Treasurer to single sign checks up to $2000, which has been our practice. The bylaws as revised in 2010 required double signature on ALL checks, but we had not being doing that.
- Make electing a Vice-President optional.
- Establish seven board members elected by the membership as the minimum number of directors and allows the board to elect up to 4 additional directors to fill in needs in expertise or connections.
Jim Dennis of the Music Loft continues to train with Bill McClymont to take over the equipment end of our engineering needs. We still need for people to step up for their station to work on our automation/Simian needs. Tofu Dave has a solid, sustainable plan for distributing that work among three people. We still need that trio to come forward. For the last several months Dave has had all the burden on his shoulders.
We also need to thank Tofu Dave for initiating research that discovered that we have been overpaying on insurance by a large amount from many years. Ending that will have a lasting positive effect on our bottom line. Our data is now the best it has ever been with all our info in one Excel Workbook including up to date underwriting info and address, email, and phone for all members. In MailChimp we now have emails for our 95 members and for 513 potential donors.
We also need volunteers to step up or be recruited by our members to chair the Engineering Committee, chair the Volunteer Committee, and serve as Volunteer Coordinator.
WCOM also needs people to serve on the all-important Board Development Committee. That Committee is “responsible for the recruitment of Board candidates, publicizing openings on the Board, researching and interviewing the candidates, training Board members, and preparing and explaining recommendations for consideration by the membership or by the Board.” The committee must consist of at least two people from the board and two members who are not on the board.
If you want to serve our members, supporters, and listeners in one of these key needs, please email me directly.
Our talking points:
- · WCOM provides an open door for broadcast of area non-profits’ PSAs.
- · WCOM talk shows welcome representatives of area non-profit organizations and government units, in addition to citizens.
- · WCOM offers citizens the opportunity to learn about broadcasting and then to host programs making WCOM your voice in the community.
- · WCOM cannot afford to measure, based on Nielson’s extremely small sample of just 14 Orange County households, how many people listen over the air. Data collected over two months in autumn 2015 indicates that we have a median of just less than 9 online listeners at any time, gain around 6 new web visitors per day among the 800 web hits daily. We have around 900 followers on the TuneIn Radio streaming service.
Our next station fundraiser is coming up on Thursday, April 28, at PM for our WCOM Community Night at the Movies at the Silverspot Cinema in University Place. Please promote on your show (we have two recorded PSAs) and, since only 60 tickets will be sold go to http://bit.ly/wcommovie right now and get your event tickets which include tickets to a movie of your choice (not necessarily on 4/28) and heavy hors-d'oeuvres during our social time in Silverspot’s Trilogy bar and restaurant.
Thanks for all you do.